Which Trainer

Moderator: nzuraw

Griffter18
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: Great Britain

So having returned to cycling after a 4 year break I was a little disappointed to find out that my Bushido, TSS, and RLVs are effectively obsolete.
I cant transfer the software because its on an iMac drive, and the computers location doesn't provide space for a bike anymore. As the bushido is not the smart version its not going to be of much use going forwards which is a shame because I loved the fact there was no wires.

So after a bit of thought my only real option is to purchase a new unit and in doing so hopefully benefit from the latest tech (fingers crossed)
As a casual rider Im just wanting to bump up fitness via additional training when I cant get out, and to have a little fun either with training sessions or virtual rides,
What I dont want is to be spending a fortune, especially now knowing that these things become obsolete fairly quick.

So what would you suggest........looking at sub £400 unless there is a clear reason to spend more:
Flow Smart would probabley do what i need but a step backwards from the Bushido
Vortex...looks like the bushido equivalent but there is no price on the Tacx web... idoes this suggest its going obsolete?
Something else even if a different manufacturer

In terms of using is there anything I need to be aware of ie subscriptions etc to get the most out of it?

Any helpful answers welcome
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs
USER_FLAG: United States of America

I think your big problem right now is finding trainers in stock. There has been a big run due to widespread lock downs and people stuck indoors.

I gave you a link to a DC Rainmaker review of the Flow Smart, which he says is a great value and I agree. His website has a huge number of trainer and other equipment reviews, so that is a good place to get detailed information.

I have owned almost all of the Tacx trainers, including the newest Tacx Neo2T Smart and Flux 2 Smart. The Neo is by far the best one I have had. Very smooth and very quiet. But it is far beyond what I really need and it costs 3 times as much the Flow Smart. I owned the earlier version of the Flow Smart - the Imagic (later renamed the Flow). It had the same brake as the Flow Smart and it never gave me any problems either. The main thing that makes the Flow reliable is its simplicity. There is not very much to break. When I got my Flow Smart, I only bought the full resistance unit, part #T2241.35. I think I found it for only about $200. I had an extra Tacx stand that I mounted it on. It was necessary to modify the stand (it is the same one used for many Tacx trainers, like your Bushido). I had to grind off the welds for the Bushido connections and do some drilling, but it worked fine. I suspect that is not something you may not wish to do and the Bushido would no longer be usable once you did that.
Michael Corn
Bellingham, Washington, USA
ms6073
12" Bike
12" Bike

Might want to check out Cycling Weekly's the Here are all the turbo trainers in stock in the UK right now article.

With that, I would say because of demand, this is probably the worst of times to search for a new trainer as many retailers are out of stock and popular models are back ordered on all the popular trainers. To that end, having ridden wheel-on style trainers for over 25-years, my suggestion would definitely be to consider stretching the budget a bit and look at the lower end direct drive trainers such as the Tacx Flux or Kickr Core as there simply is no comparison.
Griffter18
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: Great Britain

Yep, Im aware that with the current lockdown getting a new trainer just now will be a challenge and Im fine waiting as I can still use the bushido stand alone if needed, and I can get out on the road whenever possible for an hour.

Ive had a look at the Flow mentioned by @mcron but assuming the 'out of stock' prices listed are correct then there doesn't appear to be much difference price wise between the Flow and Vortex (both about £300). Vortex appears to have a better max incline and power rating but theres no prices listed for it on the Tax website.....does this suggest its being discontinued??????

Moving up from them would be one of the Flux derivatives and quite a jump in price.

Saying this I know there is also the used market to consider...........
So assuming the prices is within my budget is the Flux a lot better that the Vortex and Flow and is there any known risk of the flow being dropped as a current product?
ms6073
12" Bike
12" Bike

Griffter18 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 4:08 pmSo assuming the prices is within my budget is the Flux a lot better that the Vortex and Flow and is there any known risk of the flow being dropped as a current product?
Direct Drive will always offer a better training experience than a wheel on trainer. The Flux 2 is the current version so Flux/Flux S would have the risk of being out of Tacx' warranty period should something happen to the trainer.
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

ms6073 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 8:40 pm
Griffter18 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 4:08 pmSo assuming the prices is within my budget is the Flux a lot better that the Vortex and Flow and is there any known risk of the flow being dropped as a current product?
Direct Drive will always offer a better training experience than a wheel on trainer. The Flux 2 is the current version so Flux/Flux S would have the risk of being out of Tacx' warranty period should something happen to the trainer.
I have a Flux2 Smart as well and it is not as smooth as a Flow. But more importantly, it also has some firmware issues causing cadence dropouts and sudden power spikes. I reported this 6 months ago and others are confirming the problem. Adding a separate cadence sensor does not solve the problem.

https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitnes ... 27#1062527

I've owned both a legacy Vortex and Vortex Smart. It is a pretty good value and has more braking capability than the Flow, but it is not as smooth either. For normal humans, the Flow will enable you to get your heart rate into the red zone. If replicating a true 10% uphill grade is important to your, the Flow will not do that.
Michael Corn
Bellingham, Washington, USA