DC Rainmaker Trainer App Review

Tacx Desktop Application for PC, IOS and Android

Moderators: nzuraw, mcorn

thebigoneinfront
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: Germany

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/03/cyc ... guide.html

Includes TDA. Some remarks may sound a bit familiar from the pertinent forums. :lol:
Phil‘s RLVs get the proper credit, though. Their handling by TDA, not so. And I think Ray is just plain wrong believing that no one will buy a Tacx trainer because of these RLVs. I for sure did.
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs
USER_FLAG: United States of America

thebigoneinfront wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:19 am https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/03/cyc ... guide.html

Includes TDA. Some remarks may sound a bit familiar from the pertinent forums. :lol:
Phil‘s RLVs get the proper credit, though. Their handling by TDA, not so. And I think Ray is just plain wrong believing that no one will buy a Tacx trainer because of these RLVs. I for sure did.
His review did not cover TDA, just the training app. But it is nice to have a comparison of the numerous platforms. I am guessing that his complaint about not be able to download 1080P videos is likely due to not having a premium HD subscription. I had that issue earlier this year until I got the correct subscription.
Michael Corn
Bellingham, Washington, USA
ms6073
12" Bike
12" Bike

Having not used either the Tacx Training App nor TDA for quite some time, so can someone tell me what is the difference between the two? I get the impression that TDA is for the windows crowd while TTA is obviously for the tablet/smart phone audience but are the two apps synonymous in functionality? I was under the impression from discussions on the old forum that Tacx engaged two different companies to design each one, thus there are features within TDA that are not available within TTA and vice versa.
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

It has been awhile since I tried the training app. The training app is for Android and IOS mobile devices and TDA is for Windows and Mac desktops. I would not regard them as functionally equivalent at all. There are a lot of things that TDA does on a large screen that would be very hard to replicate on a small mobile device. There are no doubt users, like Dave, who could give a better comparison.
Michael Corn
wilf
First Bike with trainer wheels

mcorn wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:43 pm It has been awhile since I tried the training app. The training app is for Android and IOS mobile devices and TDA is for Windows and Mac desktops. I would not regard them as functionally equivalent at all. There are a lot of things that TDA does on a large screen that would be very hard to replicate on a small mobile device. There are no doubt users, like Dave, who could give a better comparison.
Hi Michael,

I agree. I don't understand the strategy for windows, mac, ios and android. I have all windows versions running, one IOS10 user and one actual Android tablet. I love TDA, on my IOS the newest TTA does'nt run, on my tablett I have Tacx Training App running Tacx Cycling App ? does'nt run, but is still there.

One app or program (or look a like) on each plattform would be sort out the confusion.

stay healthy
thebigoneinfront
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

I think he ultimately looked at all versions, hence the „Tacx Training Suite“ moniker. „Update: Ok, I tried the desktop version, and this time it worked.“, plus at least one screenshot that looks very much TDA to me. Whatever. It‘s a good picture at the competition and what Garmin/Tacx need to do.
wilf

thebigoneinfront wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:02 pm I think he ultimately looked at all versions, hence the „Tacx Training Suite“ moniker. „Update: Ok, I tried the desktop version, and this time it worked.“, plus at least one screenshot that looks very much TDA to me. Whatever. It‘s a good picture at the competition and what Garmin/Tacx need to do.
Yes there is a lot to do in Garmin/Tacx development and marketing.
Cycling2011
14" Bike
14" Bike
USER_FLAG: Great Britain

mcorn wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:43 pm .There are no doubt users, like Dave, who could give a better comparison.
The 1080p picture quality and video smoothness is much the same in TDA and TTA.TDA is on a larger screen but my ipad is close on the Tacx stand so both can have that been there feeling.Having said that i only use TTA for shorter warm up/recovery rides.TDA wins with the widgets but these have to be larger for the smaller TTA i pad touch screen.These are also improving in TTA with the recent climb widget.The filtering for finding your rides needs improving with TTA.The other issues i have with TTA are buffering of the video for up to 2 minutes with all data working correctly, also road feel not stopping and continuing on tarmac to end of the ride.TDA has no issues and is perfect for me.
David Rowden.
Hull,United Kingdom.
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

I've been testing TDA since the start and gone through various bugs and hiccups, but it has been very stable and reliable for me for at least 6 months. It works far better than TTS ever did. TTS just turned into a huge chore, which I rediscovered when I got it working again during the window when the license server was working. It just took hours, including getting all the videos installed and authorized. For me, there is really is no comparison between the two. And Phil's video library is gigantic. I won't live long enough to get through it, and I think the subscription cost is very reasonable, considering the kind of big money cyclists are willing to spend for their toys . All things considered, I thought Tacx and Garmin did a good job of managing the potential privacy issues on the video footage. The blurring of faces and license plates works fine for me, even on a 55" 4K screen and they got that done surprising quickly, probably with a lot of hard work from Phil. About the only major thing lacking in TDA is VR, which I found to be a kind of niche product and did not use much. Probably my only real impatience was how long it took to get to this point and get the bugs ironed out and the features added. Some of the TDA cloud functions have caused some problems for some users at times, but my understanding is the cloud team is completely independent of the TDA development team, so I don't fault the TDA side of the house for that.
Michael Corn
Cycling2011
14" Bike
14" Bike

TTS works perfectly on my high spec PC and i have many great collectors rides(plus all IM films)that will not see TDA.I enjoy TDA,TTA and TTS4.I also use TTA slope mode with one of my 28 Sufferfest DVDs and this App actually got one of the best reviews by DC Rainmaker.
David Rowden.
Hull,United Kingdom.
Martin
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: Netherlands

Hopefully there will ever be a Linux version of TDA.
I always used Windows intensively but last years I notice I shift more and more to Linux (better virus protection,
better hijack protection, better performance on same hardware, more logical update schedule)
Malfukt
Team Manager
Team Manager

I have excellent was 150Mbps now 200 from virgin..TDA downloading and streaming is great/very good respectively and this with cable connected or wifi (have it on desktop and laptop) i find TDA very slick easy to use.

TTA is device dependant..as using same wifi i have a really unrewarding experience especially with phone.. Galaxy Note 4 (bit dated but works excellently everything else so zero reason to update just stay on technology bandwagon) Tablet NotePro 12.2 also 3 or 4 years old.

Phone more time buffering than seeing film sometimes, only use it as beta test it, would not use normally as why? bloody screen tiny prefer at least size of tablet which 85 to 90% film/ride runs well but the other 10% time buffering spoils experience
Malcolm Armstrong.
United Kingdom
BerthaVision
12" Bike
12" Bike
USER_FLAG: Belgium

Its was sobering to read the reviews especially his experence with the Tacx apps, really really depressed that we have no way to let the customers see our quality even for a high price.
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

BerthaVision wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:28 pm Its was sobering to read the reviews especially his experence with the Tacx apps, really really depressed that we have no way to let the customers see our quality even for a high price.
The fact that he confused TDA with the mobile training app is not at all helpful, but people can still install TDA for free and download a demo. I think that gives some sense of the high video quality.

And I would say buying a one-month HD subscription for €13,99/US $13.99 is a pretty inexpensive way to give it a try. Cyclists don't hesitate to drop a ton of money for jerseys and hardware, so this really should not be a barrier.
Michael Corn
BerthaVision
12" Bike
12" Bike

mcorn wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:45 pm
BerthaVision wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:28 pm Its was sobering to read the reviews especially his experence with the Tacx apps, really really depressed that we have no way to let the customers see our quality even for a high price.
The fact that he confused TDA with the mobile training app is not at all helpful, but people can still install TDA for free and download a demo. I think that gives some sense of the high video quality.

And I would say buying a one-month HD subscription for €13,99/US $13.99 is a pretty inexpensive way to give it a try. Cyclists don't hesitate to drop a ton of money for jerseys and hardware, so this really should not be a barrier.
Oh for me the cost is already way too cheap, I wanted a very high quality UHD option like we have in the RLV Beta, even if it was priced very expensive at least the option should be there for those with the gear. Ive been redacting the entire collection & have run the older rides masters through a special filter to make them look great on a UHD TV, its not real 4K but actually many of them now look better then our actual 4K, remember our old HD camera was a Cinema camera, the footage from it was very high quality, I actually enjoyed working with that footage more then i do with the 4K one. In any case its been a bit downward spiral..it was a massive shame as we had a brilliant team & so many plans.
Last edited by BerthaVision on Sat May 02, 2020 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
thebigoneinfront
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

mcorn wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:45 pmThe fact that he confused TDA with the mobile training app is not at all helpful, but people can still install TDA for free and download a demo. I think that gives some sense of the high video quality.
Sure, still one can easily turn that argument around: Tacx don‘t manage to make their offerings clear to a guy who makes a living on sports technology. How should John Doe who‘s looking for some fast fun in indoor training understand?

I was very much surprised by the success of Zwift and Strava. That makes me believe that folks like me who are just happily riding their RLVs aren‘t the focus customers for indoor training software. Apart from RLV fans like me, it‘s all about virtual competition, and is still more about structured training programs than about those virtual mini-cycling holidays I enjoy so much. I think Tacx needn‘t do very much to appeal to the competitive crowd, they just need to do it.
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

He is not an average John Doe. I would pretty much put his confusion at his own doorstep. He typically does not make these kinds of mistakes. Downloading and installing TDA is about as easy as it gets. Confusing this with a mobile app is very surprising to me.
Michael Corn
nzuraw
Team Manager
Team Manager
USER_FLAG: Australia

Zwift is an animal. A friend of mine worked for them until very recently. When they have an issue, they just pump money into it. If it doesn't get resolved, they pump more money into it. It's no wonder that Erin M. is a millionaire now - they've redefined marketing and got so much sponsorship and investment it's unreal.

Imagine if they applied the same methods to running a professional cycling team!
_______o
_____~\<,_
____(_)/ (_)
Train hard, ride easy
BerthaVision
12" Bike
12" Bike

nzuraw wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:02 pm Zwift is an animal. A friend of mine worked for them until very recently. When they have an issue, they just pump money into it. If it doesn't get resolved, they pump more money into it. It's no wonder that Erin M. is a millionaire now - they've redefined marketing and got so much sponsorship and investment it's unreal.
Last edited by BerthaVision on Sat May 02, 2020 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
kostya416
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: Canada

nzuraw wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:02 pm... It's no wonder that Erin M. is a millionaire now...
He was actually a millionaire before that whole Zwift thing had started