Display Height ?

Tacx Desktop Application for PC, IOS and Android

Moderators: nzuraw, mcorn

Ian Oliver
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: United States of America

I'm inheriting a 40" curved Samsung 4K display for my TACX Neo 2. Thoughts on most comfortable height to mount it for a typical road bike? I'm guessing about 48" to the center of the display?

Thanks,
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

Ian Oliver wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:01 pm I'm inheriting a 40" curved Samsung 4K display for my TACX Neo 2. Thoughts on most comfortable height to mount it for a typical road bike? I'm guessing about 48" to the center of the display?

Thanks,
Nice inheritance.

I think this stuff is fairly subjective, but a height of 48" off the floor to the center of the screen seems low to me unless you are riding mostly with your head down (like with aerobars). 48" seems like the height you might have for watching a TV from a couch. So, our height is about 80" to the center of our 4K screen. Our setup is a little unusual because my wife is on the back of a tandem. The bike is turned at 45 degrees to the screen and the screen is fairly high so she can also see without my shoulder or arms blocking her view. My seat is about 10' back from the screen and my seat height is about 43" off the floor. We also have a second screen on the wall for TV and other broadcasts, so we need to be 10' back to see both screens comfortably. At 80", we are only looking up very slightly. If we were a lot closer to the screen, we might be bending our necks more. The ceiling height in the exercise room is 9', but with a lower ceiling height, it might not be possible to put the screen as high as we have it.

One thing to keep in mind is your curved screen will have quite a bit narrower viewing angle than a flat screen, so the screen and bike placement relative to each other are more critical. Viewing angle narrowing is mostly lateral, but there could be some up and down narrowing as well. That would mean your eye height should be exactly the same height as the dead center of the screen. But once you have all of this right, it should be a great experience.
Michael Corn
Bellingham, Washington, USA
Ian Oliver
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

Thanks. Good to get an experienced opinion. I think I"ll cheat it up a bit. This is against a sloped ceiling (loft) so somewhat limited in overall height but I think I can get the center up to about 54" leaving a 1" clearance to the ceiling.
Ian Oliver
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

nzuraw
Team Manager
Team Manager
USER_FLAG: Australia

I use a 40" TV too. The bottom of the screen is about level with the height of my handlebars. Which gives me a nice sitting up view, but not a neck-wrenching experience when on the drops.
_______o
_____~\<,_
____(_)/ (_)
Train hard, ride easy
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

nzuraw wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:21 pm I use a 40" TV too. The bottom of the screen is about level with the height of my handlebars. Which gives me a nice sitting up view, but not a neck-wrenching experience when on the drops.
Nic is right on being on the drops or using aero bars. If you spend a lot of time doing that, our screen height would likely be too high even with the bike 10' back.
Michael Corn
ms6073
12" Bike
12" Bike

Ian Oliver wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:48 pm Image
We have a slightly larger room with 2 trainers positioned so the window is to our left side and use the stands below with 50" Smart TVs: I might also suggest since you and your trainer are the only occupants, consider positioning the monitor in the corner that way you can increase the distance to the screen.

Ian Oliver
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

I was the only occupant until... Today. Movers are quickly filling the room with other stuff :-(

I like that stand.
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

Ian Oliver wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:51 pm I was the only occupant until... Today. Movers are quickly filling the room with other stuff :-(

I like that stand.
Yes, I think the movable and adjustable screen has a lot of positives, particularly if a wall mount would be awkward. The image is for one of the medium sized Onkron models, but there are also many other manufacturers (lots of choices on Amazon). Getting something that is highly stable and without wobbles would seem important. I think Onkron would get you 47" to 59" off the floor (bottom of screen I presume). Reviews and questions on Amazon seem positive with lots of information.

DSCN1586 Compressed2.JPG
DSCN1586 Compressed2.JPG (87.41 KiB) Viewed 4785 times
Michael Corn
nzuraw
Team Manager
Team Manager
USER_FLAG: Australia

A friend of mine made his own moveable TV stand using an old projector screen - nice and stable, but a little precarious when moving as its top heavy. I have mine on a similar, but shorter stand, which in turn in on an Ikea table with wheels. The best thing is being able to adjust the height - handy for the initial setup.
_______o
_____~\<,_
____(_)/ (_)
Train hard, ride easy