Tacx Desktop App crashing

Tacx Desktop Application for PC, IOS and Android

Moderators: nzuraw, mcorn

stokenchurch
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: Great Britain

Hi
I've been having a lot of problems with the tacx desktop app crashing part way through a ride.

I've tried several times to contact the support team at tacx, now Garmin. They replied once, but it didn't really help and not got back since.

Any ideas on how to stop it crashing please?! I've tried downloading the films and minimising the functions like the colour coding of gradients etc, but nothing seems to work. Many thanks.
ms6073
12" Bike
12" Bike
USER_FLAG: United States of America

stokenchurch wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:09 pmAny ideas on how to stop it crashing please?!
How about cancelling your subscription and try another company's app? Sorry, I don't have an answer for you but seems that if you have an open ticket, then you should be spamming the support inbox until someone starts to pay attention! I had been considering a TDA subscription as a few here are/were BETA testers and have had good things to say, but having read more and more threads with similar issues like this on Garmin's own forums, not to mention no provision for family subscriptions, I am going to pass. Topic drift, but am I the only one that finds it ironic that they Garmin does not even offer a forum for TDA. I have also seen numerous suggestions to go the the Garmin/Tacx Facebook page where support staff does monitor comments as apparently they don't like getting lambasted on sites where they don't have editorial control over the content.
nzuraw
Team Manager
Team Manager
USER_FLAG: Australia

Could be a few things? Try ininstalling the app. Check for any Tacx folders in the following folder and delete them:

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps

The folder is hidden by the way.

Reboot, check you have the latest video drivers, windows updates etc.,

Resinstall TDA
_______o
_____~\<,_
____(_)/ (_)
Train hard, ride easy
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

I have had very good results with TDA, much better than TTS ever was.

But early on, I did find it necessary to upgrade my video card and I did find that Nvidia cards seemed to perform better than AMD.

So, the first question I would ask stockenchurch would be to provide a brief description of the PC's specs. I would also ask whether it happens on both downloaded videos as well as streamed ones and whether there is any difference between 720p and HD videos.

Finally, a very easy way to assess whether the PC can handle the load is to open Task Manager (crtrl-alt-del) and select the Performance tab. You can set the Performance monitor to be on top so it runs the same time as TDA. First thing is to monitor CPU and memory. If those are not overloaded, the next thing is to select GPU and see if any the boxes are getting over 85% or so. If any of these things are happening, there is some possibility the PC is a bit underpowered.
Michael Corn
Bellingham, Washington, USA
Ian Oliver
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

At the risk of endangering my smoothly running system... TDA (MacOS) has been rock solid on several Mac Mini's for me. Maybe consider that (or a used one from Apple or OWC).
stokenchurch
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: Great Britain

Thanks everyone for your very helpful replies.

I'm going to try running it on my iPad and see if that's better. Sounds like it might be.

Also the tips about monitoring the CPU usage are useful (again I should have thought of that).

I just gets so frustrating when I've slogged my way up a hill and suddenly my desktop appears on the screen!
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

stokenchurch wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:43 pm Thanks everyone for your very helpful replies.

I'm going to try running it on my iPad and see if that's better. Sounds like it might be.

Also the tips about monitoring the CPU usage are useful (again I should have thought of that).

I just gets so frustrating when I've slogged my way up a hill and suddenly my desktop appears on the screen!
Video usage is probably more critical, but CPU is important, so check both. Also, you have not said anything about your PC specs and whether running low res videos (HD 720p) or hi res (HD) makes any difference. HD requires more video resources.
Michael Corn
Bellingham, Washington, USA