Garmin Connect Merge Experience

Tacx Desktop Application for PC, IOS and Android

Moderators: nzuraw, mcorn

mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs
USER_FLAG: United States of America

After waiting a bit to try the merge of the TDA login to my Garmin Connect Account, I decided to try it today. I already have a separate Windows Garmin Connect Account and had my password for that account handy. So, rather than bypass the merge on TDA login, I started the merge process. I already use the same email for my TDA login and for Garmin Connect. I do not login in through Facebook, Google, or Strava.

The merge was successful and occurred quite quickly after clicking through the necessary screens.

I did a very brief TDA ride test of my merged account and it pretty much works okay for me. After I finished, the ride saved to both the older Tacx Cloud page accessible through the Activities button on the TDA Dashboard and to the Activities page on my Garmin Connect page.

I only noticed a couple of small things. A few videos that I had downloaded over the last couple of weeks were not showing as downloaded on the TDA Movies page. However, when I started a download, they immediately downloaded and relinked, so they detected the video files in my TDA video folder automatically. I also noticed that a couple of the picture thumbnails of previously downloaded videos were missing on the Movies page but after a few refreshes they appeared.

So, right now I really do not have any problems to report. I will do a longer ride later today.
Michael Corn
Bellingham, Washington, USA
Ian Oliver
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

Glad it went somewhat well for you. I know of several people who have lost ride data and there are posts on FB and Garmin forums about it so I'm holding off. First I've heard about the disappearing films and images.
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

Ian Oliver wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:17 pm Glad it went somewhat well for you. I know of several people who have lost ride data and there are posts on FB and Garmin forums about it so I'm holding off. First I've heard about the disappearing films and images.
I've had a few disappearing thumbnail images during testing in the past. The films don't disappear. They just don't show as downloaded, but they quickly relink when you start to download. I have had that happen many times during beta testing, so this is not that unusual. I suspect that if you went into Settings - General and did the Select Folder next to the Link Movies, they would also again show as downloaded. This appeared to have happened during the recent merging programming.
Michael Corn
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

I had a login bug when I went to do a regular ride this afternoon. When I opened TDA, the merge account screen was presented instead of the Garmin Connect Login screen. So, I hit the Continue to button for doing a merge. After I did that and entered my email and pw, I got an error message that an account had already been created. So, I went back and this time I was able to enter my email address and pw and it worked fine.

Also, at least one of the previously downloaded videos was now showing as not downloaded. This time I used the link folder function to link everything.

The only thing I can think that might create a problem is I have TDA installed on my desktop PC in my office where I just run demos and do not ride. I opened TDA using Garmin Connect before I did the afternoon workout. I don't know if having TDA on more than one PC can cause problems for Garmin Connect login.
Michael Corn
mcinner1
Balance Bike
Balance Bike
USER_FLAG: Austria

I notice that under "Manage profile" the changes are not saved.
I've been trying to edit the last name, location and avatar for days. This works on the profile page, but the changes are not saved.
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

Today I did not have any of the minor problems with login that I had yesterday. I did a number of tests, including logging in and logging out multiple times on 2 different computers and it all worked fine. In fact, when I start TDA, it completely bypasses the login page and just opens TDA. Today’s ride also saved to both the older Tacx Cloud page and the new Garmin Connect page. As Garmin/Tacx has explained, the older activities from the Tacx Cloud page have not been migrated into the Garmin Connect page. I understand there are technical issues with that migration.

All of my recent tests have been with Live Opponents and Live Activity turned off. I have not done any rides with opponents, but tomorrow I was try some of these functions to see if they are working properly.

So, overall, the merge has been working pretty well for me.
Michael Corn
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

Did another ride today, this time with Live Opponents and everything worked and saved fine. One thing I have noticed on Live Opponents is that usually most of them are paused (not moving). Not sure if this means the rider has simply opened the ride and gotten off the trainer or if there is some kind of network issue.

Hope everything has a better 2021 than we had in 2020. The US has really made a mess of everything. This is like nothing I have ever seen in my 75 years here.
Michael Corn
mcinner1
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

I always ride with opponents=on. Just for fun, they all are faster than me :lol:
There are some films where usually many opponents are riding (for examlke: Bavaria Lechsee), but I see them all moving - with a few exceptions...

I would love to change my avatar - but I fail for days. Would be interesting if it is only me or a Garmin server problem.

To your US situation: I watch it from distance (Austria, Europe). I'm already curious to see what will be going on at 6th and what will happen after 20th.
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

Merged accounts still working fine. As described above, opponents seem not to be working entirely correctly.
Michael Corn
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

My wife and I are continuing with our daily rides on the tandem on our Neo2T and the post merged accounts functions seem to be working without any significant issues. Login has remained automatic and I am able to access TDA on both our bike computer and my desktop computer without any problems.

About the only thing I notice is there are frequently quite a few other live riders on pause. Occasionally a live ride will show on the rider list widget but not on the profile and vice versa. I have no way of knowing what these paused riders represent, i.e., whether they are really paused or whether this is some kind of cloud glitch.
Michael Corn
mcinner1
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

No login problems here, either.
I have also seen opponents that stand still and suddenly disappear. Maybe they just finished their training.

What I have seen is, that keystroke „I“ does not work anymore (no problem for me), and that it is not possible to edit „my profile“. Mostly changes are not stored and changing the picture does not work at all.

Off topic:
Would love to see you and your wife on the Tacx NEO tandem - never saw something like that 😉
mcorn
Directeurs Sportifs
Directeurs Sportifs

No one aboard here, but our Cannondale on the Neo2T is in the foreground and a folding mountain tandem on a Flux2 Smart is in the background. (There is also a single in the background to the left.)

I have some homemade front wheel stands for the tandems to keep things more stable. Due to the length of a tandem, a small amount of movement in the rear is greatly magnified at the front wheel, particularly with the Neo2T, which is not as stable a the Flux2.

DSCN1757 Compressed.JPG
DSCN1757 Compressed.JPG (86.01 KiB) Viewed 11775 times
Michael Corn
mcinner1
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

Wow, what a gym! Thank you!
Ian Oliver
Balance Bike
Balance Bike

Just thought I'd add that my Garmin merge has now been stable for about 10 days. Anecdotally it looks like they got things ironed out.

Still, Really bad form on Garmin's part to do this; during winter indoor training season, during Christmas and without proper QA.
BerthaVision
12" Bike
12" Bike
USER_FLAG: Belgium

Ian Oliver wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:17 pm Just thought I'd add that my Garmin merge has now been stable for about 10 days. Anecdotally it looks like they got things ironed out.

Still, Really bad form on Garmin's part to do this; during winter indoor training season, during Christmas and without proper QA.
I finally talked with Tacx last week, it was not the intention to release the merge in the winter, but they did not say why they plowed ahead with it anyway. I guess deadlines etc